KAGAWA PREFECTURE

From the Shikoku Bilingual Guidebook by Akiko Takemoto and Steve McCarty. Takamatsu, Japan: Biko Books.

This Web page alternates English and Japanese for those studying either language.

Click to see a complete French translation of the English-Japanese chapter on Kagawa Prefecture

Also available is a more detailed guide to Kagawa Prefecture from the English language guidebook KAGAWA, published by the Shikoku Newspaper Company


Takamatsu City 高松市

- the Gateway to Shikoku -

Takamatsu is the capital of Kagawa Prefecture, which has traditionally been called the gateway to Shikoku, with the whole land of the prefecture jutting out into the Seto Inland Sea like a porch.

高松は四国の表玄関といわれ、内海へポーチのように突き出た半島の先に高松港がある。

JR Takamatsu Station next to Takamatsu Harbor is the terminal of the Kotoku Line for Tokushima pref., the Yosan Line for Ehime Pref. and the Dosan Line for Kochi pref., while serving as the bus terminal to Tokushima, Matsuyama and Kochi City. Takamatsu Chikko just opposite JR Station is the terminal of Kotoden trams to and from Kotohira, the seat of 'Kompira-san'.

すぐとなりのJR高松駅からは、他の三県へむかう鉄道(徳島へ高徳線、愛媛へ予讃線、高知へ土讃線)がのびる。この駅前は、高松―徳島、高松―松山、高松―高知をむすぶバスの始発点でもある。「こんぴらさん」へいく琴平電鉄の始発駅である築港もある。

The New Takamatsu Airport handles non-stop flights to and from Seoul, Korea.

新高松空港からは、韓国はソウルへの直行便もある。

Another place in Takamatsu appropriate as a gateway to Shikoku is the Takamatsu Heike Monogatari Historical Museum that features not only the famous historical literature called Heike Monogatari but also about 50 great historical figures closely associated with Shikoku or native to Shikoku.

表玄関にふさわしい施設の一つに、高松平家物語歴史館がある。日本一の蝋人形館で、平家物語に登場する人物のほかにも、四国にゆかりの深い歴史上の人物や各界の名士にもお目にかかれる仕組みになっている。

Takamatsu became the capital in 1587 with the advent of Lord Ikoma I as governor of Sanuki Province. The castle he built on the harbor was succeeded by 4 generations of his descendants, and then by 11 generations of Matsudaira lords, governing Takamatsu Province with a fief of 120,000 koku.

高松は、1587年に讃岐入りした生駒親正の高松上築城以来400年あまりの歴史をもつ。

One ninth of the former castle ground is preserved as Tamamo Koen Park across the street from JR Takamatsu Station. The donjon is gone, but two of the 15 turrets and Mizute Gomon Gate from the 17th century (Important Cultural Properties) survived the air raid in 1945. Admission: 100 yen.

その城域の約9分の1がJR高松駅のむかいに玉藻公園としてのこっている。天守閣はすでにないが、1945年の空襲をまぬかれた二つの櫓と水手御門は17世紀の遺構(いずれも重文)である。料金:100円

Traditionally the popular sightseeing spots in Takamatsu are Ritsurin Koen park near downtown and Yashima Plateau overlooking the city and the Inland Sea. They are accessible by bus or tram, with tarminals at Takamatsu Chikko just opposite JR Station.

高松市のおもな見所のうち栗林公園は市街地にあり、歩いても30分。八島もバスか電車で30分ほどである。

Ritsurin Koen Park 栗林公園

30 minites' walk from JR Takamatsu Station.

JR高松駅から徒歩30分

The busy street in front of JR Takamatsu is the main street of downtown Takamatsu, and leads to the main gate to Ritsurin Koen Park, a National Special Scenic Spot. This spacious garden laid out with shapely mounds, cool ponds and about 160 varieties of trees and flowers provides a classic example of a Japanese garden or even a Chinese Taoist paradise fit for meditation.

JR高松駅前を南にのびる大通りを30分ほど歩くと、栗林講演の正門が見えてくる。国指定の特別名勝ともなっている広やかな庭園は、池と築山をたくみに配し、日本古来の庭園の理想、ないしは古代中国の神仙説を具現したものとして瞑想の場にふさわしい。

Originally it belonged to a local warlord, and then to Lord Ikoma. When it was transferred to the Matsudairas, they spent five generations developing it into a larger stroll-type garden for their villa. Seasonal charms of flowers and blossoms such as ume (Japanese plum blossoms) in February, camellias in March, cherry blossoms in April, wisteria and azaleas in May, Irises and water lilies in June, giant lotuses in August, and Japanese bush clover in September, and brilliant maple leaves in November add to the pleasure of strolling.

もとは地元の豪族の主夕であったが、藩主生駒氏を経て、松平家に移り、その下屋敷の庭として改修をかさね、五代目になってようやく池泉回遊式庭園として完成した。ウメ・モクレン・ツバキ・サクラ・フジ・ツツジ・ショウブ・スイレン・ハス・ハギが咲きついだあとには、紅葉もみごとで、四季おりおりの風情が楽しめる。

Kikugetsu-tei, one of the pond-side teahouses, was originally one of the Matsudairas' formal buildings. The museum just inside the main gate houses a variety of mostly local handicrafts. There is a zoo, too, inside the gate.
Open daily. Admission to the park: About 300 yen.

池のほとりの茶屋の一つ、掬月亭は、松平氏の客殿の一つであった。正門を入ってすぐのところにある讃岐民族芸館には、讃岐漆器をはじめ、地元の民芸品を多数展示してある。正門の左手には動物園もある。
入園料:300円

Yashima Plateau 屋島

Bus: 30 minutes' ride from Chikko to the terminal (kotoden Bus for Yashima-sanjo or Yashima Hilltop.

バス:築港からターミナルまで30分(琴電バス:屋島山上または屋島の頂上)

Tram + Cable: 30 minutes' tram ride from Chikko to Yashima (Shido-sen Line) + 5 minutesユ cable-car ride.

トラム+ケーブルカー:築港から屋島までトラムで30分+ケーブルカー5分

Yashima, a pine-wooded tableland to the northeast of downtown Takamatsu, is one of the world's rare lava mesas, about 290 m high, 3 km wide, jutting 5 km out into the sea.

高松市外の北東に屋根のような稜線を見せる屋島は、世界でも有数の熔岩台地である。高さ約290m、幅3km、

The hilltop, overlooking the archipelago of the Inland Sea, features Yashima-ji, an aquarium and observatories all linked by forest promenades.

バスかケーブルで頂上にのぼれば、松林をぬって遊歩道がつづき、瀬戸内海の風景を楽しみながら、屋島寺(四国霊場第八十四番)、水族館、展望台などをゆっくりとめぐることができる。

One of the observatories, Dankorei, commands a view of the inlet fringed with memorials to the Gempei Yashima Battle (the second last battle in Gempei War fought between the two rival clans, the Minamotos and the Tairas).

屋島寺に近い展望台の一つ、談古嶺からは「屋島の合戦」の戦場となった入り江が見おろせる。(源平合戦も終盤に近い「屋島の合戦」で破れた兵士はほどなく壇ノ浦で果てるが、源平合戦の終わりは、京の都で焼く400年つづいた貴族政治の終わりであり、武家政治の幕開けでもあった。

Once a British poet, Edmund Blunden, visited Yashima and wrote a poem that was engraved on a stone here at Dankorei observatory:

この展望台には、英国の詩人エドマンド・ブランデンの詩碑も立つ。

Like a long roof, men say, and will they say,
This hill of warrior ghosts surmounts the plain...

屋根のごとしと言いならわされしこの丘に
つわものどもの霊しずまりて、野を睥睨す

Gempei War 源平合戦

In 794 Kyoto became the capital of Japan and it enjoyed peace for about 350 years (811 - 1155) -- the longest peace Japan has ever attained in her history.

The last 30 years of this period, however, were far from peaceful. In 1156 the first battle took place in the capital, thus opening up a new era dominated by martial emotions. Two martial clans -- the Minamoto and Taira clans -- began to acquire greater and greater influence in politics through fighting against each other in the name of "the Emperor" or "the Ex-Emperor".

In 1159, the Tairas succeeded temporarily in staving off the Minamotos. The 20 years that followed saw the Tairas rise to increasingly control the Imperial Family, inviting animosity from the reigning Emperors, the Ex-Emperors, powerful priests, warriors and lords, to say nothing of the Minamotos in exile.

In 1181 the patriarch of the clan Taira no Kiyomori died just when the tairas faced more battles against the Minamotos, who were gradually consolidating their power.

In 1183 the Tairas were driven from the Capital along with the 6-year-old Emperor Antoku and his mother, who was Kiyomori's daughter. They wandered far in search of supporters, while fighting losing battles.

Now in 1185, Minamoto no Yoshitsune attacked the remaining Tairas here at Yashima, then at Dan-no-ura in the westernmost corner of the Inland Sea, where the proud Taira finally fell, the noblewomen casting themselves into the sea with the child Emperor Antoku.

Thus the age of ancient nobility yielded to the age of Shoguns (1185 - 1867).

Yashima-ji Temple treasures in its museum a folding screen depicting the Gempei no Kassen Battles. The bell in the belfry, cast in Kyoto in 1223, was dedicated here for the repose of the defeated Tairas. But no one can strike the bell, as there is no hammer. They say, "Strike the bell, and invoke the ghosts of the Tairas."

On the last weekend in March the Gempei Yashima Festuvak is held, whose highlight is the Warriors' Pageant.

It was an insurrection caused by the discord between Emperor Goshirakawa (1127 - 92) and Ex-Emperor Sutoku (1119 - 64). Sutoku was defeated and banished to Sanuki (Kagawa Pref.) to die a miserable death 8 years later. His ashes were buried at Temple 81.In1184 the court elevated him to Shinto deity to placate his ghost.

Minamoto no Yoshitsune (1159 - 89): By bringing about victory in the civil war, Yoshitsune had greatly helped Minamoto no Yoritomo, his elder brother, who in 1192 was to establish the first Shogunate at Kamakura. But Yoshitsune had to spend the rest of his life escaping Yoritomo, until four years later he killed himself. His tragic life and death was so appealing to Japanese sentiment that he has taken on heroic proportion in Kabuki, Noh and Joruri plays, based on what is called Yoshitsune Literature.

Nasu no Yoichi  那須与一

Very few Japanese visit Yashima without being reminded of an episode:

It was on the afternoon of February 19, 1185, that Minamoto no Yoshitsune mounted another surprise attack against the Tairas at the then Yashima Island. Frightened by the imagined immensity of enemy forces, the Tairas jumped into their boats and sailed off. A fierce battle lasted for hours.

1185年、2月19日の午後。ところは屋島。源義経は、またしても平家を急襲する。敵を多勢と見あやまった平氏は、あわてふためいて船にのり、海上にのがれる。はげしい戦いが数時間もつづく。

Now the sun was setting. Both sides began to retreat, when a fair vessel parted from the Taira legions and stopped about 80 m from the beach. Then a beautiful lady appeared from the cabin, produced a pole with a bright red fan on its top and beckoned to the puzzled warriors on the shore.

が、ついに日も落ちかかり、双方が退こうとしたとき、平家の陣から美しい御座船が一叟進み出て、岸から80メートルほどのところに止まる。と見るや、あでやかな女人があらわれ、総紅地に金粉で日輪をえがいた扇をさした竿を立て、手まねきをする。

"What does she mean?" said Yoshitsune.

「どういうことなのだ、あれは?」と、義経。

"Perhaps she is inciting one of us to shoot the fan. Or she may be inviting you to come out onto the front line her archers," said his attendant.

「あの扇を射落としてみよというのでございましょう。それとも殿が進み出て、あの女人をごらんになっておられるところを、弓の達人に狙わせて、討ちとろうという魂胆かもしれません」と、供の者。

"Then let it be shot down by someone," said Yoshitsune.
「よし。では、たれか、あの扇を射落としてみよ」

Soon a young man called Nasu no Yoichi appeared on horseback with bow and arrow in his hands. The north wind was strong. The boat was tossing up and down. The fan painted with the golden sun at its center was fluttering on the pole.

やがて、指名された那須与一という若者が馬に乗ってあらわれる。風が強い。船がはげしく上下して、扇がひらひらとゆれ動く。

All the Tairas in the boats and all the Minamotos on the shore were watching Yoichi. What would he do? Would he succeed?

平氏は船の中で、源氏は の上から与一を見ていた。「彼はどうするのか?」「成功するのか?」

Yoishi rode into the water as far as he could. But it was still about 70 m to the target. He closed his eyes and prayed. Then the wind fell for a moment. He shot. The arrow pierced through a little above the rivet. The fan, flying up a moment or two, came floating down, glittering in the setting sun. There was great applause from both sides.

敵味方の見守る中、与一は海中に馬を乗り入れ、船から70メートルくらいのところで止まる。目を閉じ、神々に祈る。一瞬風が静まる。矢を放つ。要の少し上を射抜かれた扇がさっと空に舞いあがり、落日にきらめきながら落ちてくる。敵味方の双方から歓声があがる。

Then a man in armor appeared in the same boat. He began to dance an elegant dance perhaps in genuine appreciation of Yoichi's archery. Then Yoichi got another order and shot down the dancing man, too.

あまりの見事さに感きわまったのであろう。船上に一人の武将が現れ、みやびやかに舞いはじめる。

Some said, "Good shot!" But others said, "Not fair."

と、「討て」の命令が下る。与一の矢は、またしても命中する。「たいしたものだ」という者もあれば、「殺生なことを」という者もある。

The Tairas were silent this time. Was it a precursor of their demise? Two months later, the Tairas finally fell.

平氏の側では声もない。これが没落の先ぶれでもあったろうか、二ヶ月ののち、平氏は西海の果てにほろび去る。

Shikoku-mura Museum 四国村

3 minutes' walk after leaving the bus at Toshogu-mae.(Kotoden Bus: Yashima-sanjo -- Toshogu-mae -- Chikko)

3 minutes' walk from the cable-car station.

This is an open-air museum laid out at the foot of Yashima Plateau. About 20 old rural buildings from various parts of Shikoku have been reassembled here, including a Farmers' Kabuki Theater, peasantsユ houses, a fishermanユs house, a sugar mill, a shed for steaming mulberry bark to make paper, and workshops for making soy sauce and so on. There is a replica of Kazura-bashi from Nishi Iyayama-son, too.

Open daily: 8:30 - 16:30. Admission: 500 yen

屋島の南側のふもとの斜面に、「四国村」で知られる民家博物館がある。四国四県の農山村や漁村に残っていた古い民家や、さとう・しょうゆ・紙などの製造につかわれていた作業場、農村かぶきの舞台などを移築・復元したものである。

On May 5, people including children from Shodoshima Island, from which the Kabuki Theater came here, stage an annual performance of their traditional farmers' kabuki.

毎年5月5日には、小豆島から、子供をふくむ「農村かぶき保存会」の一団がやってきて、島から移したこの舞台で実演する。徳島県の西祖谷山村にあるカズラ橋もこの四国村むきに復元されている。

Takamatsu Heike Monogatari Historical Museum 高松平家物語歴史館

3 minutes' walk from Nihon Tabako-mae Bus Stop after 10 minutes' ride from JR Takamatsu.
(Kotoden Bus: Asahimachi Line)

30 minutes' walk from JR Takamatsu Station.

Japan's largest wax doll museum. The first floor is dedicated to the 41 dolls of historical figures or modern men and women of celebrity who have been closely associated with Shikoku.

日本最大の蝋人形館で、一階には四国にゆかりの深い歴史上の人物や各界の名士の人形41体が展示してある。

The one of Kobo Daishi in his nyujo has its own corner as a special exhibition.

弘法大師にだけは特別の一角を設けてある。

The other dolls include:

その他の人形:

Yokoyama Ryuichi (cartoons: 1909- )
Sakamoto Ryoma  坂本竜馬
Nakaoka Shintaro  中岡慎太郎
Nakahama Manjiro  中浜万次郎
Wenceslau de Moraes  
Inokuma Genichiro  猪熊弦一郎
Takahama Kyoshi  高浜虚子
Ninomiya Chuhachi  二宮忠八
Setouchi Jakucho (literature: 1922- ) 瀬戸内寂聴
Makino Tomitaro  牧野富太郎
Yasuoka Shotaro (literature: 1920- ) 安岡章太郎
Kagawa Toyohiko (religion, social work, literature: 1888-1960) 賀川豊彦
Terada Torahiko (science, essay: 1878-1935) 横山隆一
Abe Yoshishige (philosophy, education: 1883-1966) 安部能成
Nambara Shigeru (philosophy, education: 1888-1974) 南原繁
Masaoka Shiki  正岡子規
Kotoku Shusui  幸徳秋水
Nakae Chomin  中江兆民
Kikuchi Kan  (literature: 1888-1948) 菊地寛
Manabe Hiroshi (illustration: 1932-) 真鍋博
Yoshida Shigeru *  吉田茂
Itagaki Taisuke  板垣退助

The second floor exhibits about 300 dolls portraying the 17 scenes from the Heike Monogatari or The Tale of the Tairas. The Saga, composed of a large number of revealing episodes, was and still is an inexhaustible source of Japanese literature and art. Some of the most famous scenes took place at the foot of Yashima Plateau at the northeastern tip of Takamatsu.

二階には平家物語にちなむ17の場面が、約300体の人形を使って現されている。

One hi-tech doll seen at the end of the exhibition is what was called biwa hoshi or a blind biwa- playing bard who traveled around chanting The Tale of the Taira Family even before it was written down in the first half of the 13th century. Its opening passage is especially famous for its Buddhist idea of impermanence that goes as follows:

展示の最後にある琵琶法師はハイテク人形である。琵琶法師とは、13世紀前半に『平家物語』が成立する以前に、平家の盛衰を語りながら諸国をめぐり歩いていた法師姿の盲目の芸人である。かれの語る『平家物語』の冒頭は、仏教的無常観をのべたものとして有名である。

The bell of Gion Mnastery tolls
The impermanence of all worldly things.
The color of sal blossoms shows the truth that
Even the most prosperous inevitably decline.
The proud will fall like a dream on a spring night.
The valiant must perish, too, as
Frail as dust blown by a puff of wind.

祇園精舎の鐘の声、諸行無常の響きあり。
沙羅双樹の花の色、盛者必衰の理を顕す。
奢れる人も久しからず、ただ春の夜の夢の如し。
猛き者も遂には滅びぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

The doll begins to talk and sing the first line of the opening passage when it senses visitors approaching.

Open daily. Admission: 1200 yen.
(High school students: 800 yen Children: 600 yen)

琵琶法師の人形は、人が近づくと感知して語りかけ、この一節を歌う。

* Yoshida Shigeru (1878-1967), Prime Minister from 1946 to 1954, is credited with giving Japan direction through her most difficult times after the war.

The Seto Ohashi Bridge 瀬戸大橋

The Kojima-Sakaide Route, popularly known as the Seto Ohashi Bridge, was completed in 1988. It is the world's longest two-tiered bridge system, stretching 13. 1 km from Kojima to Sakaide, connecting the 5 island in between.

岡山県の児島と香川県の坂出の間に大小5つの島をつないで、11橋(呂橋3、斜張橋2、トラス橋1、高架橋5)をかけ渡したもので、鉄道・道路併用橋としては世界最長である。

The 11 bridges in the system include 3 suspension bridges, 2 twin cable-stayed, 1 truss and 5 viaducts.The upper level accommodates a motor expressway of four lanes, and the lower contains Japan Railway's system for a dual track ordinary line at present and for a dual track superexpress line in the future.

上は4車線の瀬戸中央自動車道、下はJRの鉄道が走る。

The first person to air the idea of the Seto Ohashi Bridge was Okubo Jinnojo, a kagawa native, who at that time was constructing the first Shikoku Roads to link all the prefectures on the island. In 1889 Jinnojo disclosed his dream in a congratulatory speech he made as a member of the Prefectural Parliament at the opening ceremony of the first railroad in Shikoku between Marugame and Kotohira.

架橋の発案者は、当時四国新道(国道32・33号線の原型)を建設中の大久保_之丞(1849-1891)であった。1889年5月、丸亀―琴平に鉄道が開通し、その開通式で県会議員として祝辞を述べたが、そのおりに「本四架橋の夢」を披露した。

Exactly a century later, the Bridge came into being after decades of planning and ten years of construction, 13 million workers involved (with the loss of 17 lives), and costing 1,190,000 million yen.

瀬戸大橋(13.1km)は、1988年、10年の歳月と1兆1,900億円の工費をかけて完成した。

Surprisingly, Jinnojo had also foretold man's traveling to the moon in his favorite drinking song of his own making, which went as follows:

ちょうど100年目にその夢が実現する。100年先を見越したといえば、彼は自作の都都逸の中で「人類の月着陸」さえ予言している。

I'll tell you, dear,
don't laugh at me,
a hundred years from now,
I'll be seeing you flying
to and from the moon in a apace ship.
Its port, let me tell you, dear, will be
that mountaintop over there!

笑わしゃんすな、百年先は
財田の山から川船出して
月の世界へ行き来する

One of the best points to view the Bridge is Yoshima Island, a central pier of the Bridge. It also serves as a sight seeing outpost for the Shikoku and Inland Sea Districts, providing 2 parking areas for those who like to enjoy bridge-viewing, seafood and shopping.

瀬戸大橋の中ほどにあって橋脚となった与島には、大橋の途中で唯一のパーキングエリアがあり、大橋が目前に眺められる。またシーフードレストラン等もあって、食事やショッピングもでき、四国観光・瀬戸内観光の前哨地点ともなっている。第二駐車場の近くの京阪フィッシャーマンズワーフの船着場からは、島を一周する遊楽船も出る。

To Yoshima: 20 minutes from JR Sakaide by Seto Ohashi Express Bus.

Another is a rotating tower 132 m tall at the Seto Ohashi Memorial Park at the foot of the Bridge in Sakaide. The Memorial Hal provides all kinds of information on the Bridge and its construction, while the park itself applies modern art to stone and water.

Admission to the tower: 800 yen
Admission to the Hall: 510 yen

橋のたもとにある瀬戸大橋記念公園の回転展望タワー(132m)から眺める橋もすばらしい。記念館には、大橋と大橋建設に関するあらゆる資料が集められている。

To the Seto Ohashi Memorial Park: 10 minutes from JR Sakaide by shuttle bus (free of charge).

The Gold Tower near JR Utazu Station offers a marvelous view, too. The 144 m tower made of half-mirror glass is the tallest of its kind in Japan, housing the Sky Lounge, restaurants, stores and a World Toilet Museum.

JR宇多津駅近くのゴールドタワー(144m)も、この種の展望台としては日本一の高さ。世界のトイレ館なども併設する。

Open daily. Admission to the tower: 800 yen / 1000 yen (Toilet Museum included).
To Gold Tower: 8 minutes' walk from JR Utazu.

Bridge-viewing cruises are available from Keihan Fisherman's Wharf on Yoshima, Memorial Park and Sakaide Port. (1000 yen-1500 yen)

Marugame City 丸亀市

-- Castle & uchiwa 城とうちわ --

25 minutes' train ride from JR Takamatsu.

To the Castle: 15 minutes' walk from JR Marugame.

The three-storied donjon on top of a green hill crowns the city of Marugame. When a Marugame Province of 53,000 koku was formed in 1641, an old castle was reconstructed and the castle seen today dates back to 1660, one of the few fgenuine Edo Period castles remaining in Japan.

1641年以来、丸亀藩五万三千石の城下町であった。

The present-day Marugame is famous for uchiwa or round paper fan manufacturing, producing about 90% of these fans in Japan.

丸亀市は全国のうちわの約9割を生産するため「うちわの町」として知られている。

The Castle Park, 15 minutes' walk from JR Marugame, is surrounded by moats, featuring the donjon, a couple of main gates (all Important Cultural Properties)and walls from the 17th century. The 4-level 60 m ramparts, the tallest and among the most beautiful in Japan, also contribute to the beauty of the castle.

今は講演となっているかつての城域には、1660年に完成した天守閣をはじめ、大手一の門・二の門(いずれも重文)、土塀などが残り、むかしのたたずまいをしのばせる。天守閣をいただく四段重ねの石垣も天下一品といわれ、城全体の美観をおおいに引き立てている。

O-shiro Matsuri Castle Festival is held on the 3rd weekend in May.

お城祭りは五月の3週目の週末に開かれる。

The Inokuma Genichiro Modern Art Museum adjacent to JR Marugame Station is dedicated to Inokuma Genichiro (1902 - 93).

JR丸亀駅前には猪熊弦一郎現代美術館がある。

Banshoen Garden built in 1688 as a villa for the Lord of the Province is 10 minutes' drive from downtown Marugame. One of the galleries there houses Chinese ceramic ware and a collection of Iranian earthenware and glassware dating back to 2500 B.C. through the 1200's A.D. Open daily.

市街はずれにある万象園は藩主の別荘として1688年につくられてもので、園内の美術館には、古代オリエントの当期やガラス器を集めた陶器館などもある。

Admission to the Garden & Galleries: 1000 yen
(Students: 600 yen, Children: 400 yen)

10 minutes' walk from Nakazu-bashi Bus Stop after 10 minutes' ride from Marugame Toricho near the castle. (Kotosan Bus for Zentsuji via Tadotsu)

Zentsu-ji Temple 善通寺

-- the Birthplace of Kobo Daishi 弘法大師縁の地 --

[From JR Kotohira] 5 minutes to JR Zentsuji by ordinary train.

[From JR Takamatsu] 40 minutes to JR Zentsuji by express train (Dosan Line).

25 minutes' walk from JR Zentsuji along the street in front of the station.

Zentsu-ji Temple, is known as the birthplace of Kobo daishi Kukai. Kukai is one of the greatest geniuses Japan has ever produced. He made a great contribution in remolding Japanese religion, while making unparalleled achievements as a scholar, poet, artist, calligrapher, sculptor, architect, educator, social worker, inventor, discoverer and civil engineer.

四国霊場第七十五番善通寺は弘法大師空海(774-835)誕生の地である。空海は、日本が生んだ最大の人物の一人で、日本仏教の再構築と言う一大事業をなしとげたばかりでなく、哲学・文学・絵画・書道・彫刻・建築・教育・社会事業・発明・発見・土木工事の分野においても、比類のない業績を残した。

The giant vamphor trees near the five- storied pagoda in the East Precinct are said to have already been several hundred years old when Kukai was born in 774. The Mieido Hall in the West Precinct at the foot of the green hill is the Birthplace.

東境内の五重塔の近くにある大クスは、空海の生まれたころ、すでに数百年の大木であったという。小山のふもとに西境内があり、その中央にある御影堂が誕生所である。この堂の真下にはまっくらやみの通路がある。

Visitors may traverse the basement of the hall along a pitch-dark path. This introspective journey is called kaidan-meguri. The entrance is at the right-hand corner of the Hall. The entrance fee includes the admission to the Museum.( 300 yen)

ここを通りぬけるのを「戒壇めぐり」というが、この闇は人間の無知蒙昧を象徴するという。注意書きには、「左手を左側の壁に押しあててお進みください。

The utter blackness along the path symbolizes the darkness of the human mind or human ignorance of the Truth. The notice says: "Go along with the palm of your left hand pressed against the left-hand wall. The wall, painted with mandalas, angels and lotus flowers, is the Buddha's Way. You will be safely guided as long as you are on His Way."

この壁は、曼荼羅や天人、蓮の花を描いた仏の道でありますから、その導きに従い、心やすらかにお進みください」とある。

After the Kaidan-meguri, arrows guide you to the Museum. The temple treasures exhibited there include a small clay pagoda Kukai molded at 7, a bowl used by Kukai as a mendicant priest, a robe and a ritual stick (a National Treasure) of Indian make, both presented to Kukai by his Chinese master Abbot Hui-kuo, and a sutra scroll (a National Treasure) with each of the Chinese characters accompanied by a little Bodhisattva on a lotus pedestal; Kukai did the calligraphy, his mother the painting.

戒壇めぐりのあと、矢印にしたがっていくと、宝物館に出る。空海にゆかりの品や数々の奉納品のなかに国宝の『一字一仏法華経序品』がある。空海が書いた文字の横に、母君玉依御前が一つ一つ如来の絵を描きそえたものである。

Shorinji Kempo 少林寺拳法

-- an art of self-defence --

Shorinji Kempo is not merely a sport or martial art, but a religious exercise to approach the Buddha's spirit in the principles of "self - realization" and "help each other."

単なるスポーツや武技ではなく、「自己確立」と「自他共楽」を通じて仏陀の精神に近づこうとする修行の技である。

It was started by So Doshin (1911-1980) in 1947. Two years before he had been repatriated from Manchuria, the northeastern part of China that "Imperialist Japan" held for 13 years till the end of World War ・. Doshin had seen how people could be dehumanized in the dire extremities of war and its aftermath. "Developing good humanity is the only way to save Japan and the world at large," he kept saying to himself. Doshin, who had learned various martial arts is China, pondered over the Zen philosophy of Bodhidharma, trying to restore the martial art that Bodhidharma himself was said to have practiced about 1,500 years ago when he brought Zenfrom India to China.

創始者宗道臣(1911-1980)は、第二次大戦後中国から引き揚げてきたが、その前後に目にした人心の荒廃に心を痛め、帰国後、健全な人間性の育成を志し、達磨の禅哲学に思いを凝らし、達磨の故事にもとづいて拳技による修行法を創始し、それを少林寺拳法と名づけた。いまでは日本以外にも23か国に100あまりの支部をもつ。

Finally, Doshin succeeded in restoring and reorganizing the whole body of that art, which he named Shorinji kempo. Now its Headquarters has more than 100 branches in 23 countries in the world.

The Shorinji Kempo Headquarters (0877) 33 - 1010 is on the southern slope of Tryo Koen Park Hill 15 minutesユ walk from JR Tadotsu Station.

The Bodhidharma Festival is held on the 1st Sunday in October.

10月の第1日曜、桃稜公園にある総本山は達磨祭りでにぎわう。

Kotohira-gu Shrine 金刀比羅宮

-- the mecca of Kompira worshippers --

[From JR Takamatsu to JR Kotohira]
60 minutes by shuttle train (Dosan Line).

[From Takamatsu Chikko]
70 minutes' tram ride by special express.

[From JR Okayama]
67 minutes' train ride by special express.
2 hours to Kotoden Kotohira Station by Seto Ohashi Kosoku Bus.

Especially Noted Product: Ittobori woodcarving.

Kotohira-gu , a great shrine complex, often affectionately called Kompira-san, has been a celebrated destination for pilgrims and tourists for hundreds of years.

「こんぴらさん」の愛称で知られる金刀比羅宮は、15世紀以来、「金毘羅信仰」のメッカである。

According to legend, Kompira-san came into being when Kumbhira --- a guardian god of Buddhism, originally a Hindu crocodile god of the Ganges, was beckoned by a Buddhist priest of Matsuo-ji, a thousand-year-ole temple in this neighborhood.

伝説によれば、「こんぴらさん」の始まりは、1000年ほどまえ、いまもこの山のふもとにある松尾寺の住職が、クンピーラ(仏教の守護神。もともとはガンジス川にすむワニでヒンズー教の神)を、この地に招いて祭ったことに由来するという。聖なる川ガンジスからやってきたというので、クンピーラは、やがて水とかかわりの深い海運業・漁業・農業の神ということになる。

But the temple remained a Shinto shrine in part, with Omononushi-no-mikoto, the native god of fertility, medicine and commerce also summoned from the mythological land of Izumo *. Omononushi-no-mikoto, along with Daikoku-ten representing Chinese folk religion, were then identified with the Indian god Kumbhira (Kompira), a case of religious internationalism in classical Japan.

が、やがて出雲からオオモノヌシノカミ(商業・豊作・医薬の神)が招かれてきて、神仏が習合する。そこへ中国から伝わった大黒天も加わって、オオモノヌシノカミともども、クンピーラ(こんぴら)の権化ということになる。日本の宗教史上に見られるおおらかな国際主義の一例である。

In 1868 Buddhism and Shintoism were separated by law, and Omononushi became the chief god along with the deified Emperor Sutoku who had been enshrined here in the 15th century. Yet "Kompira Worship" continued to flourish, for the Hindu deity had already enshrined himself deep in the hearts of the Japanese people.

1868年、神仏分離令により、オオモノヌシノカミが主神と定められたが、「こんぴらさん」はすでに日本人の心のなかにしっかりと根を下ろしてしまっていたので、「金毘羅信仰」そのものは依然として続いていくことになる。

There are 785 stone steps to climb before one reaches the Main Shrine. Fortunately its route consists first of a colorful street of souvenir shops and then of a quiet promenade lined with gardens, shrines and museums. The numberless granite lanterns. fences and tablets bordering the approach were all dedicated by Kompira worshippers nationwide, as were the stone steps themselves.

山の中腹にある本宮にたどりつくまでには、785段の石段を登らなければならない。初めのうちはにぎやかな土産物屋があり、やがて神域のしずかな参道ぞいに庭園・社殿・博物館などがつづいて、退屈するひまはない。石段をはじめ、無数の石燈篭・石玉垣・石碑などはすべて信者からの寄進、あるいは寄進のしるしである。

Many of the shrine treasures in the Homotsukan Museum, the Gakugeikan Museum, Omote-shoin and Oku-shoin Art Museum were offered by famous artists, poets, lords of Provinces and characters of historical renown. In the 17th century the Tokugawa Shogun, too, dedicated a stipend of 330 koku to the shrine, augmenting its prosperity.
Asahi-no-yashiro Shrine in the Buddhist style is the former Main Hall. The present Main Hall is a few more flights of stone steps above.

宝物間・学芸間・表書院・奥書院が所蔵する展示物の多くも、一流の文人・画家、各地の大名などからの奉納である。17世紀には、将軍家も330石を寄進して金毘羅宮の隆盛に寄与した。宝物館には皇室からのものも少なくないが、これはもともとは、崇徳天皇の御物であった。旭社は、仏教建築であるが、これが旧本宮である。今はその上に本宮がある。

Emado Hall near the Main Shrine is a gallery for votive tablets and offerings mainly from seamen. In March 1889 there was offered a photograph of the Brooklyn Bridge in New York --- the Eighth Wonder of the World at that time --- dedicated by a Japanese acrobatic troupe that had completed a tour around the U.S.A. So it is thought that Okubo Jinnojo, seeing the photograph here, was inspired to envision the Seto Ohashi Bridge that he proposed in May that same year.

本宮ちかくの絵馬堂には信者からの奉納品が陳列されているが、1889年3月、ここにブルックリン橋の写真がかかげられていた。ニューヨークで6年前に完成し、当時「世界の七不思議」につぐ「八番目の不思議」と騒がれていた橋である。施主は、日本からはるばる海を渡り、合衆国の巡業をおえて帰国したばかりの軽業師の一行であった。とすれば、大久保_之丞も、あの演説の2ヶ月前、すでにこの写真を見、それにヒントをえて、本四架橋の構想を描くにいたったのかもしれない。

About an hour's walk to Okusha or the Inner Sanctuary further along the path through primeval forest is enjoyable to nature-lovers, though one has to climb 583 more stone steps.

本宮からさらに1時間ほど歩くと、奥社がある。原始林の中をうねうねと続く参道は自然愛好家むきだが、さらに583段の石段を登らなければならない。

On the night of October 10, a grand procession starts at the Main Hall at 9 p.m., slowly marching down the 785 stone steps into the downtown streets as far as O-tabisho, the Sacred Destination This is the highlight of the 3-day Grand Festival of this time-honored shrine.

* Izumo: An ancient city in Shimane Pref. on the Japan Sea; one of the political and religious centers during the mythological age.

Kompira Oshibai Kabuki Theater 金毘羅大芝居

At the foot of the mountain there stands Kompira Oshibai Kabuki Theater, the oldest Kabuki Theater remaining in Japan. A guide shows visitors around the building including the primitive but ingenious device to operate the rotating stage.

山のふもとには、金毘羅大芝居がある。現存する最古の歌舞伎小屋だが、まわり舞台などもある本格的なものである。

Open daily except Tuesdays.
Admission: About 300 yen
火曜休館。
入館料:300円

In Kabuki Season in mid-April or May, first-class Kabuki actors are invited from Tokyo or Osaka to perform under almost the same conditions as their ancestors did in the 17th through 19th centuries.

毎年、4月中ごろから5月には東京や大阪から第一級の役者が招かれてきて、江戸時代さながらの舞台がくりひろげられる。

For further information about the dates and tickets call the office of JR Shikoku in Takamatsu: (0878) 23-0973

問い合わせはJR四国高松駅へ。TEL (0878)23-0973

Kotohiki Koen Park 琴弾公園

Kotohiki Koen Park features a pine-wooded sand beach and a shady hill with the ancient shrine Kotohiki Hachiman-gu at the top and two of the 88 Temples --- Jinne-in and Kannon-ji --- at the foot.

善通寺市の北西にひらけた白砂青松の浜に神さびた丘がつづく公園で、丘のふもとには四国霊場第六十八番の陣恵院と六十九番の観音寺がある。

One should not miss the Zenigata huge coin known as Kan-ei-tsuho carved about 2 m deep in the white sand. It is best viewed from a hilltop observatory behind the Hachiman-gu Shrine. Its broad rim looks completely circular from there, but in reality it is elliptic (112m * 90m) with a circumference of 345 m. When and how it came into being is a mystery, providing a subject for endless debate among local people.

頂上には琴弾八幡宮があり、その裏の展望台からは「寛永通寶」をかたどった「銭型」とよばれる砂の造形がよく見える。完全な円形と見えるが、実際は楕円形(122m×90m)で、周囲は345m。いつごろ、どのようなわけでつくられたものか、興味をそそられるところである。

Shodoshima Island 小豆島

[From Takamatsu Port]
35 minutes by speedboat to Tonosho Port.

Especially Noted Products: olives, olive goods, soy sauce and somen noodles.

Shodoshima Island is the second largest island in the Seto Inland Sea. It is nicknamed "Olive Island" as olive saplings were successfully transplanted in 1908 from Greece to the soil of this island of all places in Japan.

瀬戸内海にうかぶ二番目に大きな島で、オリーブがよく育ったところから「オリーブの島」ともいわれる。

In spring and autumn a great number of pilgrims arrive here to make a tour around the 88 Sacred Places of this island. For further information, call the Shodoshima Reijo-kai (0879) 62-0227

春と秋には、島霊場八十八か寺めぐりの遍路の姿も多い。

In summer, Futagoura Beach Silver Beach and many other beaches are favored by sunbathers, swimmers, campers, wind-surfers and water-skiers.

夏には双子浦やシルバービーチなどの海浜のリゾートがにぎわう。トライアスロンなどのスポーツ行事も盛んである。

To Futagoura Beach: 10 minutes' bus ride from Tonosho Port to Futagoura Bus Stop
Annual sports events that attract a large number of participants are as follows:

Olive Half- Marathon 4th Sunday in May
Triathlon early in September
Turtle Full-Marathon Last Sunday in November
To apply, call (0879) 82-4834

Rental cycles are available at the ports of Tonosho and Sakate.(About 1000 yen-1300 yen a day)

Tonosho Port provides a starting point for all the sightseeing routes on this island. The local bus services are not frequent, but the sightseeing buses cover the main spots of the island in 4 to 7 hours. Among the 3 courses offered, the C course (About 3800 yen, excluding lunch and admission fees) is the most recommendable.

ふつうは土庄港が観光の起点となるが、おもな見所は野生のサルを餌付けした「お猿の国」がある銚子渓、紅葉の名所寒霞渓、太陽の丘、二十四の瞳映画村、孔雀園などである。定期バスの便があまり多くないから、日がえりで全部見ようとするなら、観光バスを利用するのがよい。

It takes 5 and a half hours, beginning with Choshikei Ravine and its Monkey Reserve, followed by Kankakei Ravine, a National Scenic Spot, known for its autumnal tints in November, Taiyo-no-oka Highland, Nijushi no Hitomi Movie Village and the Peacock Garden.

五時間半の「Cコース」あたりが手ごろ。土庄と坂手には貸し自転車もある。

The C course bus tour departs from Tonosho Port at 9:40 and 11:40.

The bronze statues of "People in Peace" (above) in the Tonosho Port plaza are emblematic to the local people who often call their home "Isle of Peace" or "Olive Island".

土庄港の広場にたつ「平和の群像」は『二十四の瞳』のひとこまである。

The statues depict a scene from the story of Nijushi no Hitomi (Twenty-four Eyes), written in 1952 by Tsuboi Sakae, a woman writer born on this island. When filmed 2 years later by Kinoshita Keisuke, a leading director, it created a sensation throughout the country. In 1987, it was filmed for the second school building was preserved as Nijushi no Hitomi Movie Village. In a cottage near the entrance, the latter film is shown on video.

『二十四の瞳』は、1952年、島出身の壷井栄によって書かれたが、やがて木下恵介によって映画化され、全国にセンセーションを巻きおこす。1987年、再び映画化されるが、そのセット(分教場と民家11軒)を保存したのが「二十四の瞳映画村」である。

The story begins in 1928, when a dozen children formed a small class in a tiny branch school to spend the happiest months of there lives with there woman teacher Oishi sensei. But the 20 years that followed saw the children growing into men and women more or less affected by war, even killed or crippled.
Clearly the author's heart was filled with pity for the miseries of war and for human helplessness against war, which captured the post-war mood and the continuing desire for peace.

物語は、1928年、この島の「岬の分教場」に赴任してきた大石先生とその担任クラスの12人の子どもたちとの無邪気な交流にはじまる。やがて子どもたちも大人になり、戦争の時代をさまざまに生き、あるいは死んでいく。底流に反戦の願いをこめたこの作品は、いまでも多くの人に読みつがれている。映画村入り口ちかくの一軒では『二十四の瞳』を上映している。


Click to return to the Table of Contents
Updated on 22 October 2016 by Steve McCarty (publications)