58. "Setting up an Effective Google Scholar Profile" [links but no illustrations. Or download the PDF file with illustrations but no links]. The Language Teacher, 41 (2), 31-34 (TLT Wired) (March/April 2017).
57. Implementing Mobile Language Learning Technologies in Japan With Hiroyuki Obari (Aoyama Gakuin University) & Takeshi Sato (Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology). Singapore: Springer. Product Flyer. (November 2016).
56. "University Website Optimization and Google Scholar for Academic Recognition" Osaka Jogakuin College Journal, 44, 17-29 (March 2015).
55. "An Exploratory Study of Japanese EFL Learners' Twitter Usage" With Acar, A., & Kimura, N. In A. Nawale & P. Mothe (Eds.), Role of ICT in English Language Teaching and Learning (pp. 247-264). New Delhi: Access: An Academic Consortium (August 2013).
53-54. "Social Media to Motivate Language Learners from Before Admission to After Graduation" In W.M. Chan et al. (Eds.), Media in Foreign Language Teaching and Learning (pp. 87-105). National University of Singapore, Centre for Language Studies (December 2010). Published again in hard cover and eBook by De Gruyter Mouton in the Series: Studies in Second and Foreign Language Teaching (October 2011).
52. "Mailing Lists" In S. Mishra (Ed.), E-Learning: STRIDE Handbook 8 (pp. 56-59). Staff Training and Research Institute of Distance Education (STRIDE). New Delhi: Indira Gandhi National Open University (December 2009)
50-51. "Making Mobile Phone Websites" and "Curtain CALL: Online Performances for Integrative Motivation" In M. Thomas (Ed.), New Frontiers in CALL: Negotiating Diversity (pp. 65-70 & 71-76). Tokyo: JALT CALL SIG (September 2009).
49. "Internationalizing the Essence of Haiku Poetry" Allahabad, India: Taj Mahal Review: An International Literary Journal
Volume 7 Number 2, Section on Literary Criticism (December 2008).
47-48. "Social Networking Behind Student Lines in Japan" In M. Thomas (Ed.), Handbook of Research on Web 2.0 and Second Language Learning (pp. 181-201). Hershey, PA: IGI Global (November 2008). ISBN 978-1-60566-190-2. Publisher's Website for the book. Published again in S. Dasgupta (Ed.), Social Computing: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications (pp. 1259-1279). Hershey, PA: IGI Global (2010). Chapter sold separately as a download.
46. "The Bilingual Perspective versus the Street Lamp Syndrome" IATEFL Voices, Issue 203, pp. 3-4 (July 2008). Canterbury, UK: International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language.
45. Previewing the future of Web 2.0 in 3D for language teaching Showcase: Steve McCarty. The Language Teacher 32 (4), 26-27 (April 2008).
44. "Window into the Classroom: Podcasting an English for Professional Purposes Course" Osaka Jogakuin Tanki Daigaku Kiyo [OJJC Journal], 36, 1-21 (March 2007).
43. "Information Communication Technologies in Asia: An Interview with Steve McCarty" CALL Review, Summer 2006, pp. 37-40. IATEFL Learning Technologies Special Interest Group (August 2006).
41-42. "Theorizing and Realizing the Globalized Classroom" In Andrea Edmundson (Ed.), Globalized E-Learning Cultural Challenges, pp. 90-115. Hershey, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.: Idea Group Publishing. Publisher's Website for the book (July 2006). Published again in F. Tan (Ed.), Global Information Technologies: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications (pp. 2541-2549). Hershey, PA: IGI Global (January 2008). Chapter sold separately as a download.
40. "Global Virtual Organizations for Online Educator Empowerment" Nick Bowskill (UK), Robert Luke (Canada), & Steve McCarty (Japan). In Joel Weiss, Jason Nolan, Jeremy Hunsinger, & Peter Trifonas (Eds.), The International Handbook of Virtual Learning Environments, Volume I, pp. 789-819. Publisher's Website for the chapter. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer (April 2006).
39. "Global Online Education" Steve McCarty, Begum Ibrahim (Malaysia), Boris Sedunov (Russia), & Ramesh Sharma (India). In Joel Weiss, Jason Nolan, Jeremy Hunsinger, & Peter Trifonas (Eds.), The International Handbook of Virtual Learning Environments, Volume I, pp. 723-787.Publisher's Website for the chapter. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer (April 2006).
37. "Spoken Internet to go: Popularization through Podcasting"The JALT CALL Journal, 1 (2), 67-74 (August 2005).
36. "Foreword" In Abdul Hameed Mohamed Mydin and Ahbul Zailani Begum Mohamed Ibrahim, Get Speaking Right: Suitable Expressions for Effective Communication iii.. Petaling Jaya, Malaysia: Pearson Education (July 2004).
35. "Fear and the Election" New York Times, Letters (23 July 2004).
34. "Review of Digital Bridges: Developing Countries in the Knowledge Economy" Journal of Educational Technology & Society, 6 (4), 169-170. IEEE Learning Technology Task Force (October 2003).
33. "Review of Open and Distance Education in Asia and the Pacific Rim" OLS (Open Learning Systems) News, Issue 78, pp. 78-80 (December 2001). Monmouthshire, UK.
32. "What Online Education is" OLS News, Issue 77, pp. 54-55 (September 2001). Based on a WAOE (World Association for Online Education) Views discussion list post.
31. "Kokusai shakai e no tobira: Jokyu Eigo to netto jo no enkaku kyoiku" [book chapter in Japanese on distance education and advanced English] Jimbun shakai kagaku to kompyuta: Johoka shakai ni okeru Intanetto Katsuyoho [Computing for the Humanities and Social Sciences: Utilizing the Internet in an Information Society], pp. 162-180. Yokohama: Seibunsha.(May 2001).
30. "Cultural Sensitivity in Voluntary Virtual Professional Development Communities" N. Bowskill (Sheffield U, England), S. McCarty (Kagawa JC, Japan), Kinshuk (Massey U, New Zealand), R. Luke (U of Toronto, Canada), & K. Hand (UN High Commission for Refugees, Geneva, Switzerland) Indian Journal of Open Learning. Special Issue on Web-Based Education and Training, pp. 361-379. New Delhi, India: Indira Gandhi National Open University (September 2000). Republished in the Silver Jubilee special edition Indian Journal of Open Learning, 25 (3), 107-124 (July 2017).
27-29. "Shikoku, the Pilgrimage Island of Japan" / "Mount Koya, Japan" / "Buddhist Syncretism in Japan," Entries with photos in W .M. Johnston (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Monasticism, pp. 893-895, 1162-1164, 1223-1225. Chicago: Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers (September 2000).
25. "Japanese Culture Meets Online Education" EDUCAUSE: Educom Review, 34 (3), pp. 42-44 (May/June 1999).
24. "Nigengo Nibunka Heiyo no Igi: Seijin Bairingaru no Jiko Kansatsu" [What it means to combine two languages and cultures: Self-observations of bilingual adults]. In Yamamoto, M. (Ed.), Bairingaru no Sekai [The World of the Bilingual]. Tokyo: Taishukan Shoten (March 1999), pp. 133-159.
23. "Examining International Sister School Relations" On CUE, 6 (2), 18-24 (June 1998). College and University Educators SIG, Japan Association for Language Teaching.
22. "Evaluating Speaking Skills" In Wada, M., Cominos, A., Betts, R., and Y. Ishikawa (Eds.), Team Teaching in the Communicative Classroom (pp. 170-173). Tokyo: Taishukan Shoten (January 1998).
21. "Review of Multicultural Japan: From Palaeolithic to Postmodern" Japan Journal of Multilingualism and Multiculturalism - Tagengo Tabunka Kenkyu, 3 (1), 57-59 (October 1997).
19. "Review of Multilingual Japan" JALT Journal, 19 (1), 138-142 (May 1997).
18. "An Example to the Foreign Language Teaching World" Matsuyama JALT Newsletter, No. 2, 1-2 (March 1997).
10. Defining the scope of Bilingualism in Japan Japan Journal of Multilingualism and Multiculturalism - Tagengo Tabunka Kenkyu, 1 (1), 36-43 (1995).
2. "Bairingarizumu no Riron to Nippon" [Bilingualism Theory and Japan] Kagawa Junior College Journal, 21, 1-6 (1993).
1. "Legend of the Woman Diver" ('Ama' no Wa-Ei Honyaku, Rekishiteki Kenkyu, Kaishaku) Kagawa Junior College Journal, 16, 17-22 (1988).
More originally print publications | Up to Contents
87. "Ms. Masuko FUJIKI - Her Story: Just Graduated from University in Japan at Age 83" International Women Online Journal of Distance Education, 4 (2), 263-265. Anadolu University, Turkey (April 2015).
84-86. "Taxonomy of Bilingualism: 1. Levels of Bilingualism > the Individual Level" 2. Family and Societal Levels of Bilingualism" 3. School and Academic Levels of Bilingualism" Tokyo: Child Research Net - Language Development & Education (April 2014).
83. "Optimize your University for Global Rankings (We could be Heroes)" [PDF download] Osaka JALT Journal, 1, 174-177 (March 2014).
82. "Bilingualism for Language Teachers" [PDF download] Osaka JALT Journal, 1, 196-199 (March 2014).
81. Bilingualism and Language Teaching: 2. "How Bilingualism informs Language Teaching" Tokyo: Child Research Net - Language Development & Education (September 2013).
80. Bilingualism and Language Teaching: 1. "Bilingualism as the Goal of Language Learning" Tokyo: Child Research Net - Language Development & Education (June 2013).
79. "What is the Academic Life? 3. Upholding Professional Standards and Ethics" Education India Journal, 2, (2), 4-14 (May 2013).
78. "Web Presence and Higher Education Rankings" Online Education Insights, 5 (1) World Association for Online Education (February 2013).
77. "What is the Academic Life? 2. The Idea of the University" Education India Journal, 1, (4), 52-65 (November 2012).
76. "Study Abroad Perspectives and Educational Globalization: a panel interview with Toshiaki Kawahara & Steve McCarty Ryuugaku: Explorations in Study Abroad, 5 (3), 19-24 (November 2012)
75. "Kyoiku ni okeru gurobarizeshon: Kawahara Toshiaki-shi to Steve McCarty-shi ni yoru paneru intabyu" [in Japanese]. Ryuugaku: Explorations in Study Abroad, 5 (3), 13-18 (November 2012).
74. "What is the Academic Life? 1. General Answers to Essential Questions" Education India Journal: A Quarterly Refereed Journal of Dialogues on Education, 1 (3), 6-12 (August 2012).
68-73. "Analyzing Purposes of Bilingual Education" (August 2012) Japanese translation (April 2013) "Analyzing Types of Bilingual Education" (September 2012) Japanese translation (July 2013) "Analyzing Cases of Bilingual Education" (September 2012) Japanese translation (February 2014). Tokyo: Child Research Net - Language Development and Education.
67. "Ubiquitous Computing and Online Collaboration for Open Education" Keynote Address in the Proceedings of the 5th International Malaysian Educational Technology Convention (pp. 194-210). Malaysian Educational Technology Association (October 2011). Campus Research Repository PDF file of the article.
66. "Vlogging Abroad: YouTube Reports from New Zealand to Japan" EduTech: e-Journal of Education & Technology. New Delhi: Indira Gandhi National Open University (September 2011). Research Repository PDF file of the article
65. "Japanese People and Society" General Orientation (July 2011). Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA). (Chapter in a Japanese government document introducing Japan, posted on the Web with permission).
63-64. "Bilingual Child-Raising Possibilities in Japan" Tokyo: Child Research Net - Research Papers (June 2010). Japanese translation (March 2012).
61-62. "Bilingualism Concepts and Viewpoints" Tokyo: Child Research Net - Research Papers (April 2010) Japanese translation (February 2012).
60. "Nihon de dekiru gurobaru kyoiku: Eigo ya ibunka no toriirekata" [in Japanese]. Tokyo: Benesse Corporation, Worldwide Kids English, Parents' Website (February 2010). Top part available on the open Web [the rest in a members' Website].
58-59. "What it Means to be Bicultural" Tokyo: Child Research Net - Children in Japan Today (February 2009). Japanese translation (October 2011).
57. "Motivating Language Learners from before admission to after graduation through Social Media" [Online version of the article published on CD-ROM, ISBN 978-981-08-2005-3]. Proceedings of CLaSIC 2008: Media in Foreign Language Teaching and Learning, pp. 426-435. National University of Singapore (December 2008).
56. "Research on English Performances and Motivation at Osaka Jogakuin College" Tokyo: Child Research Net - Research Papers (November 2008). Research Repository PDF file of the article.
55. "Social Networking Behind Student Lines with Mixi" Proceedings of the Second International Wireless Ready Symposium: Interactivity, Collaboration and Feedback in Language Learning Technologies, pp. 40-48 (September 2008).
54. "This is Osaka" Faculty Column. The Consortium of Universities in Osaka (June 2008).
52-53. "Eigo o kodomo jishin no daini gengo ni suru houhou" [in Japanese] (May 2008). "Intanetto de dekiru Eigo taiken" [in Japanese] (November 2008). Worldwide Kids English Parents' Website.
51. "Japanese Learning Styles in Cross-Cultural Online Education" CALL Review, Winter 2007, pp. 12-15. International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language (IATEFL) Learning Technologies Special Interest Group (December 2007)
50. "Online Presentation on Podcasting, Coursecasting and iTunesU for the College EFL Curriculum" In K. Bradford-Watts (Ed.), JALT 2006 Conference Proceedings (pp. 718-751). Japan Association for Language Teaching (September 2007).
49. "Applications of Mobile Research in Japan" [by Professors Hirano, Nakatani, McCarty & Masuda, all from different universities] Ubiquity, 8 (38), 1-34 (September 2007. ACM Ubiquity - Business Intelligence Computing Issues. New York City: Association for Computing Machinery.
48. Steve A. McCarty Sensei Interview [in Japanese] Worldwide Kids English Inside Story. Tokyo: Benesse Corporation (September 2007).
47. "Web 2.0 Technologies for Research and Mobility" Keynote Address in M. Thomas (Ed.), Wireless Ready e-Proceedings: Podcasting Education and Mobile Assisted Language Learning (pp. 13-32). Nagoya, Japan: NUCB Graduate School (June 2007).
46. "Interview with Professor Eiko Kato, First in the World to Apply iPods to Education" GLOCOM Platform - Special Topics - Colloquium #64: March 7, 2006. Tokyo: International University of Japan, Japanese Center for Global Communications. Research Repository PDF file of the article.
45. "Cultural, Disciplinary and Temporal Contexts of e-Learning and English as a Foreign Language" eLearn Magazine: Research Papers. New York City: Association for Computing Machinery (April 2005).
44. "Onrain Kyoiku no Ronri to Jissen - Jukosha no Mokusen kara" [Article in Japanese. Translation: Online Education in Theory and Practice - Through the Eyes of Learners]. Articles by CRN Advisory Board Members. Tokyo, Child Research Net (April 2005).
43. "Global Communications in a Graduate Course on Online Education at the University of Tsukuba" GLOCOM Platform, Colloquium #60. Tokyo: Japanese Institute of Global Communications, International University of Japan (full version with many illustrations in PDF format). Abridged version (HTML Web page linked to the full version) (March 2005).
40."Can non-Japanese write real haiku poetry?" Simply Haiku: An E-Journal of Haiku and Related Forms. Feature Article, Volume 2, Number 6 (November-December 2004). Research Repository PDF file of the article.
39. "A Picture of Online Education" Archive of CRN Home Page Topics for Discussion. Tokyo: Child Research Net (September 2004). Research Repository PDF file of the article.
38. "Using English and the Internet could foster a Cultural Revolution in Japan" Archive of CRN Home Page Topics for Discussion. Tokyo: Child Research Net (May 2004). Research Repository PDF file of the article
37. "Voice Technologies help turn the Computer into a Communication Device" Archive of CRN Home Page Topics for Discussion. Tokyo: Child Research Net (January 2004).
36. "Revival of the Papyrus News distribution list on language and technology" Innovative Language Learning (APACALL Newsletter), No. 4, p. 12-13. Asia-Pacific Association for Computer-Assisted Language Learning. The University of Southern Queensland, Australia (December 2003).
35. "East-West Cultural Differences in Basic Life Stance" GLOCOM Platform: Special Topics > Colloquium. Tokyo: Center for Global Communications. International University of Japan (May 2003)
34. "Sekai Kakuchi ni okeru Onrain Kyoiku ni kansuru Chosa" [Worldwide survey on the state of online education]. Articles by CRN Advisory Board Members. Tokyo, Child Research Net (February 2003).
33. "How to Hear Japanese Debate their Place in the World" Center for Global Communications: GLOCOM Platform from Japan Tokyo: International University of Japan (February 2003)
32. "Intercultural Family Values" Tokyo, Child Research Net: Archive of CRN Home Page Topics for Discussion (October 2002).
31. "The Taliban's Twin Towers" New York University: Online Journal of Education, Media and Health Issue on Terrorism (September 2002).
30. "Correspondence Education in Japan Gradually Going Online" Tokyo, Child Research Net: Archive of CRN Home Page Topics for Discussion (19 July 2002).
29. "Japanese Perceptions and Reactions to Terrorism: Q & A" Center for Global Communications: GLOCOM Platform from Japan Tokyo: International University of Japan (4 July 2002) Summary in Japanese.
28. "Another Against the Other: Terrorism through Japanese Lenses" New York University: Online Journal of Education, Media and Health Issue on Terrorism (January 2002).
23. "Reforms in Computer Education that are Possible for Japan" Research Papers: Educational Visions. Tokyo, Child Research Net (September 2000).
19. "Introducing the World Association for Online Education (WAOE)" Egypt, Papyrus News (October 1999).
15. "Cyberspace as an Academic Publishing Medium: Observations and Proposals" The WWW Journal of Online Education (JOE) Vol. 1 No. 1. New York University (September 1998).
13. "Cultural Liberation: East-West Biculturalism for a New Century" University of Virginia, Multicultural Pavilion
International Project: Essays, Papers and Articles (March 1998).
12. "The Global Shikoku Internet Project" Asian Database Online Community Electronic Newsletter Vol. 1 No. 1. Ohio State University, East Asian Libraries Cooperative WWW (March 1998).
7. "Educational Rigors Begin Early in East Asia" Webgeist, 3 (2), (May 1997). [U.S.-based electronic literary magazine].
4. "Opening the Conference Gates to K-12 and Worldwide Educators" The Well Connected Educator (February 1997). Global SchoolNet / Microsoft Corp. / National Science Foundation [How to conduct academic conferences entirely online].
3. "Language as a Window into Japanese Culture" Webgeist, 3 (1), (January 1997).
1. "East meets West and South in Hong Kong" Asia-Pacific Exchange Electronic Journal, 3 (1), (June 1996).
More online articles | Up to Contents
54. "Improving University Rankings through Google Scholar Profiles" Foreign Language Education FLExICT Conference
Ritsumeikan University Osaka Ibaraki Campus (4 September 2016) Handout including step-by-step directions on how to set up a Google Scholar Profile. View presentation slide show on Slideshare.
53. "Japanese Contemporary Culture and Society" Yeungnam University Short-Stay Program Day 2. Kansai University (15 January 2016). View on Slideshare.
52. "Japanese Traditional Culture and Society" Yeungnam University (South Korea) Short-Stay Program Day 1. Kansai University Division of International Affairs (14 January 2016). View on Slideshare.
51. "Japanese Computerization and Society" For students and a TV crew visiting from Vietnam. Kansai University (16 July 2015). View on Slideshare.
50. "Bilingualism for the Individual, Family and Society" 2015 Kobe JALT Bilingual Event followed by BBQ. Kobe Regatta and Athletic Club (24 May 2015). Japan Association for Language Teaching. View on Slideshare.
49. "Japanese Society and Economics" Papua New Guinea education ministry briefing at JICA Kansai in Kobe (15 May 2015). Japan International Cooperation Agency. View on Slideshare.
48. "The Mobile Language Learning Field" Osaka Jogakuin University Annual Research Meeting (18 February 2015). View on Slideshare.
47. "Utilizing Emerging Technologies and Social Media to Enhance EFL Learning" Symposium with H. Obari & S. Lambacher (Aoyama Gakuin University), T. Sato (Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology), & K. Nozawa (Ritsumeikan University). International Association of Applied Linguistics AILA World Congress. Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, Australia (11 August 2014). Presentation summaries / Slideshare version of the author's presentation: "Ubiquitous Language Learning from Mobile Internet to iPod to iPad"
46. "A Multidimensional Approach to Definitions, Applied to e-Learning in Language Education" Minpaku Linguistics Circle, Graduate University for Advanced Studies. National Museum of Ethnology, Suita, Osaka (20 July 2014). Abstract | View on Slideshare | Download the handout to try the method yourself.
45. ""Bilingualism for Language Teaching: 30 Years of Reflections" JALT Matsuyama Chapter 30th Anniversary Meeting. Japan Association for Language Teaching (12 January 2014). View on Slideshare.
44. "International Marriage and Bilingualism" Special Lecture, English Seminars for Global Perspectives and Communication. Aichi Prefectural University, Nagoya (12 December 2013). View on Slideshare / Fun Quiz Handout / Brief presentation scenes video.
43. "Raising your Academic Profile with Google Scholar" Japan Association for Language Teaching JALT 2013 International Conference. Kobe Convention Center (27 October 2013). View on Slideshare / Detailed Handout.
42. "We could be Heroes: Optimize your University for Global Rankings" Japan Association for Language Teaching (JALT) Osaka and Kobe Chapters, Tech Day Plus 2013 conference. Otemae University. (28 September 2013).
41. "Japanese Society, Policy and Economics" Pacific Resource Exchange Center (PREX). Kansai Keidanren / JICA, at Osaka University (7 September 2013). View on Slideshare.
40. "Bilingualism for Language Teachers and Parents in Japan" JALT Osaka Back to School Mini-Conference
Osaka Gakuin University (14 April 2013). View on Slideshare | Download the handout / PDF file of the PPT slides / Listen to the MP3 recording of the presentation while viewing the slides.
39. "How Bilingualism informs Language Teaching" Japan Association for Language Teaching JALT 2012 International Conference. Act City, Hamamatsu (14 October 2012). Download the handout / The presentation file was made by Keynote for iPad, converted to PDF, then uploaded to Slideshare. The presentation sound file can be downloaded but is included with the slidecast.
38. "Analyzing Types of Bilingual Education in Japan and the World" JALT Osaka Back to School Mini-Conference
Osaka Gakuin University (22 April 2012). Brief presentation description and photo at the conference. While clicking through the presentation online with Slideshare, listen to the presentation by downloading and playing the MP3 audio file. Or download the presentation as a.pptx | .ppt file. Download the handout and further information as a .docx | .doc file.
37. "Ubiquitous Computing and Online Collaboration for Open Education" Keynote Address at the 5th International Malaysian Educational Technology Convention. Kuantan, Malaysia (17 October 2011). While clicking through the presentation online with Slideshare, listen to the presentation by downloading and playing the MP3 audio file. Research Repository PDF file of the PPT slides.
36. "Online Education and Virtual Organizations" Plenary Address opening the Osaka JALT Tech Day Plus Conference
Hannan University (19 June 2011). While clicking through the presentation online with Slideshare, listen to the presentation by downloading and playing the MP3 file. Research Repository PDF file of the PPT slides.
35. "Video Production for Community Outreach" 4th International Wireless Ready Symposium. Nagoya University of Commerce and Business Graduate School (19 February 2010). Watch the presentation online with Slideshare or download the PowerPoint file Also download the podcast file to listen to the speech while viewing the slides. Research Repository PDF file of the PPT slides
34. "Motivating Language Learners from before admission to after graduation through Social Media" Presentation at CLaSIC 2008, National University of Singapore (4 December 2008) Online Presentation (used at the actual event) with a short podcast from the oral presentation.
33. "Curtain CALL: Online Performances for Integrative Motivation" A Show & Tell presentation at JALTCALL 2008
Nagoya University of Commerce and Business (1 June 2008). Slideshare PowerPoint slide show / Podcast. Research Repository PDF file of the PPT slides.
32. "Making Mobile Phone Websites" A workshop at JALTCALL 2008. Nagoya University of Commerce and Business (31 May 2008). Slideshare PowerPoint slide show / Podcast. Research Repository PDF file of the PPT slides.
31. "Social Networking behind student lines with Mixi" Presentation at the Wireless Ready 2008 conference. Nagoya, Japan: NUCB Graduate School (29 March 2008). Listen to the podcast while viewing the slide show or download the files: MP3 audio | PPT slides.
29-30. "Web 2.0 Technologies and iPods for Research and Mobility" Opening keynote address, delivered simultaneously with 2-way audio, text chat and 3D interaction at EduNation in the virtual world Second Life; and the Keynote Speaker Panel: "Web 2.0 Technologies and Second Language Learning: the Transformation of Learning?" Wireless Ready: Podcasting Education and Mobile Assisted Language Learning. Nagoya, Japan: NUCB Graduate School (24 March 2007). Conference Website / Flyer (PDF) / Program (PDF) | Keynote file (PPT). Click through the PowerPoint presentation on the Web with Slideshare. YouTube animated movie and video shown during the actual presentation. Second Life Keynote Address Scenes (Web page of EduNation screen shots) / Conference review / photos of the opening keynote address and final panel / YouTube video, 3 minutes of the keynote, taken from within Second Life. Research Repository PDF file of the PPT slides.
28. "Podcasting to amplify the College EFL Curriculum" Japan Association for Language Teaching JALT 2006 International Conference. Kitakyushu International Conference Centre, Kokura, Japan (3 November 2006). Listen to the podcast while scrolling through the presentation [PDF file | Web page]. Research Repository PDF file of the PPT slides.
27. "Interfaces of Bilingual Education, Japanese Socioculture and Podcasting Technologies" International Conference on Diversity and Community in Applied Linguistics: Interface, Interpretation, Interdisciplinarity. Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia (21 September 2006). Download the presentation or abstract for the conference program. Listen to the podcast while viewing the PowerPoint slides. Research Repository PDF file of the PPT slides.
26. "A Family goes through Japanese Education" School Observers program organized by North Central College, Illinois
Osaka Jogakuin College (6 July 2006). Read a summary and listen to the podcast of the presentation.
25. "Shiya o hirogeru Enkaku Gakushu: Sono Bunya, Gijutsu, Komyunikeshon" [Online Learning to broaden one's horizons: The Field, its Technologies and Communication Tools]. NPO Kokusai Joho Kagaku Kyokai, Kobe Incubation Office (16 March 2006). Download the PowerPoint presentation | Listen to the podcast in Japanese. Research Repository PDF file of the PPT slides.
23. "Definitions and Knowledge in Successive Educational Media" International Conference on Pedagogies and Learning: Meanings under the Microscope. University of Southern Queensland, Australia (18 September 2005). Abstract and Outline (Web page) | Download the PowerPoint presentation. Listen to the podcast while viewing the PPT slide show. Research Repository PDF file of the PPT slides.
22. "Stakes and Stakeholders in the Japanese Educational System" Crossing Borders, Connecting Cultures (speech to School Observers organized by North Central College). Osaka Jogakuin College (7 July 2005). Listen to the podcast of it while reading the outline.
21. "International Online Mentoring for Language Teaching and Professional Development" JALTCALL 2005 presentation (PowerPoint slides on the Web), Ritsumeikan University (4 June 2005). Research Repository PDF file of the PPT slides.
20. "Meeting a Worldwide Need for Community and Faculty Support for Online Education" The Association of Internet Researchers (AoIR) 5th Annual Conference. University of Sussex, UK (22 September 2004). Research Repository PDF file of the PPT slides.
19. "Japanese People and Society" Japan International Cooperation Agency, JICA Kansai Chapter, Kobe (Government of Japan). Dates of each 2-hour presentation: 2004: Sept. 8, Nov. 10 | 2005: Apr. 20, Aug. 10 & 24 | 2006: Feb. 8, Mar. 29, Aug. 16 | 2007: Feb. 14, Aug. 15 & 29, Sept. 19 | 2008: Aug. 6 & 20, Sept. 10 | 2009: Jan. 21, Aug. 19, Sept. 2, Oct. 28, Nov. 18 & 25 | 2010: Jan. 13 & 20, May 12, Aug. 11 & 25, Sept. 8 | 2011: Feb. 2, June 15, Aug. 24., Sept. 7 | 2012: Jan. 19, Feb. 29, June 6, Aug. 15 & 22, Sept. 12 & 19 | 2013: Jan. 30, Feb. 20, Jun. 19, Aug. 14, Aug. 16, Aug. 20, Aug. 30, Sept. 4, Sept. 11 | 2014: Feb. 19, Aug 20, Sept. 3 & 10) | 2015: Feb. 18, May 15, Aug. 21, Sept. 9 | 2016: Aug. 3 & 24, Sept. 7, 14 & 21 | 2017: Feb. 8 June 30, Aug. 30. Presentation and Resources Website / or view on Slideshare.
18. "Distance Education for Asia with World Bank and Japanese Government Grants" [PDF download]. Nagoya University: 1st Annual WebCT Users Conference (March 2003).
17. "Nihon no Onrain Kyoiku to Tsushin Kyoiku" [Japan's Online Education and Correspondence Education]. (PowerPoint presentation in Japanese: view with MS IE browser) Photo before the presentation started. Tokyo: e-Learning World, e-Learning Forum 2002 Summer (25 July 2002).
16. "WAOE - Future of Universities" | MOO Transcript on the Web. Host of a World Association for Online Education (WAOE) synchronous discussion with former Yale Dean Parker Rossman. TappedIn Summer Carnival 2002 (17 July 2002).
14-15. "Learning Management Systems and Cutting-edge Issues for Web-based Delivery" / Panelist, "Technology-driven movement in corporate communication training" 9th Annual International Business Communicators (IBC) Conference on
Communication and Culture in the Workplace, Tokyo (24 March 2002). Handout | PowerPoint presentation [partly in Japanese].
12-13. "Overcoming Face-to-Face Dependence in Distance Education: Gender and Cultural Considerations" PowerPoint presentation available on the Web * ADSL teleconference with Kansai Airport in English * Automatic speech-to-subtitles speech recognition experiment. "WebCT ni yoru e-learning no doukou" [Trends in e-Learning with WebCT] * ISDN teleconference in Japanese * Recorded for Intranet video on demand. Osaka Prefecture University (19 February 2002).
11. "WebCT for the Language Teacher" (English-Japanese Web tour). Ritsumeikan University, Lake Biwa - Kyoto campus teleconference (16 November 2001).
9. "Education in the Information Age" Panelist. Tokyo, Center for Global Communications, Views from Japan. International University of Japan (21 February 2000).
8. "Hokubei Daigaku no Enkaku Kyoiku to no Renkei" [Collaborating with North American Tertiary Distance Education].
Annual Research Meeting, Education of Information Processing. Kyushu Institute of Technology (24 October 1998).
7. "Voluntaristic Online Education and the Future with Japan" / Bio Third Annual Teaching in the Community Colleges Online Conference Keynote Address. Honolulu, University of Hawaii-Kapiolani CC (7 April 1998). Accepted by the U.S. Department of Education ERIC Clearinghouse on Information and Technology: ERIC_NO: ED419489. Also see the early 1998 video introducing the keynote address from the Inland Sea shore & Seto Great Bridge.
More research presentations | Up to Contents
Download & listen to MP3 podcasts from 2005 to the present, most remaining from the "Japancasting" blog:
Japan - Traditional Culture and Religion: The Woman Diver: Discovering Deep East Asian Values / Fatalism and Pathos in a Bunraku Puppet Play / Reincarnation or What? Stone-Hand Temple and the Pilgrimage of Shikoku
Japan - Contemporary Society and Education: Stakes and Stakeholders in the Japanese Educational System / A family goes through Japanese education / Japanese People and Society / Questions about Japan from Developing Countries / South Korea and Japan Peace Dialogue (by students) / Another Atomic Power Plant or Conserve Energy? (by students) / Causes and solutions for Bullying in Japan (by students)
Linguistics or Multilingual: Bilingualism, Choices and Freedom / Bilingualism and Bilingual Education Concepts / (The) Japanese and Foreign Languages / Similar Proverbs in Chinese, Japanese and English? (English-Japanese-Chinese, with students) / Bangladesh report (English-Japanese, by students) / Bilingual Haiku Recital (English-Japanese) / Analyzing Types of Bilingual Education in Japan and the World (2012) / How Bilingualism informs Language Teaching (2012)
Comparative Culture: Falling through the cracks of UNESCO World Heritage Sites / Influence of Religions on Laws and Moral Values (with students) / Nonviolence of Okinawans and African-Americans (by students) / Japanese-Americans return to their roots
Educational Technology: Founding the World Association for Online Education (WAOE) / WAOE Learning Technology Survey / First in the World to use iPods in Education / Definitions and Knowledge in Successive Educational Media / Coursecasting / Distance Learning (in Japanese) / Web 2.0 Technologies for Research / Interfaces of Bilingual Education, Japanese Socioculture and Podcasting Technologies / Podcasting to amplify the College EFL Curriculum / Social Networking behind student lines with Mixi / Making mobile phone homepages / Curtain CALL: Online performances for integrative motivation / Motivating Language Learners from before admission to after graduation with Social Media (first 14 minutes) / Video Production for Community Outreach (2010) / Online Education and Virtual Organizations (2011) / Ubiquitous Computing and Online Collaboration for Open Education (2011)
There are another 20 podcasts from the 2006 Coursecasting Bilingual Education podcasting blog.
Portfolio with publications categorized by topic and accessible by mobile phones / publications on Japan, Bilingualism, & Academic Ethics | Educational Technology & Language Teaching
Journal of Osaka Jogakuin College festschrift (March 2015) Introducing my work / career and publications "University Website Optimization and Google Scholar for Academic Recognition" (paper in the institutional repository, CiNII national repository, and National Diet Library).
Google Scholar Profile
Japanese People and Society (JICA Kansai Website)
Japanese Computerization and Society (Kansai University class Website)
Information and Communication Technologies (Kansai University class Website)
Bilingual Haiku Scroll - Wa-Ei Haiku no Kakejiku - Japanese, Romanized and English versions of haiku published by this author.
World Association for Online Education (WAOE) President / WAOE Facebook page
Slideshare online presentations
PDF articles and presentations in the Osaka Jogakuin Research Repository
Net Presence and Link Relations Colorful English language home page from the 1990s.
Japanese Language Home Page Since 1996.
Academic Activities since 2007 in Japanese
University of Tsukuba Graduate School of Education intensive course on the Theory and Practice of Online Education (February 2004). Illustrated Course Description | Web References | Screen Shots
Wilmina Forest Blog waoe - Japanese-English college blog
iTunesU News and Coursecasting Research Bookmarks del.icio.us social bookmarking / coursecasting
Technorati Profile for waoe (English & Japanese blogs, podcasting & video blogs)
Steve Illustrated Flickr photo sharing / Research set screen shots
Writely portraying WAOE people Photos of WAOE leaders around the world, the Web page made with the online word-processor Writely before it became Google Docs.
Podcasting, Coursecasting, & Web 2.0 Technologies for Research Podcasting in EFL Wiki - TESOL Electronic Village Online (EVO).
Japancasting's Video Blog - at Blip.tv
Reverse Culture Shock Steve's home page away from home, with external links that he reads daily (since July 2003)
Hiragana Times magazine interview bilingual passages from "Reaching out to Students - Education Online" (September 2002).
Japanese Doll Festival Includes animated Japan-U.S. Friendship Dolls.
Resources for Translators (mostly in Japanese)
Steve a la iMode
Mainly Japanese site for iMode and other mobile phones (since 2000) Currently Language Learning Japan at Winksite for all Net-enabled mobile phones
More Websites by the author | Up to Contents
Click on the photo to e-mail Steve McCarty
Make a link or a bookmark?
Updated 17 March 2018